Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Blogging in Kindergarten...Where do I start? What do I do?

Since I am focusing on blogging in the early childhood classroom, I decided that I would post about how to create a Kindergarten blog. I currently teach Kindergarten and have taught third grade (which is considered early childhood in my state) as well. A third grade blog would be more focused on the students typing and producing the material on the blog, whereas, a Kindergarten blog would be mostly managed by the teacher. I never though of a blog in Kindergarten being appropriate or even possible, but after doing some research on Kindergarten blogs I found that they are possible and can be appropriate (for various reasons). First I came across an article on www.scholastic.com where a Kindergarten teacher named Sharon Taylor wrote a "tips" article on creating a kindergarten blog. She provided suggestions on how teachers can go about deciding what their blog will focus on, who the audience will be, and what content they will place on the blog; among other areas of consideration. One of the suggestions the Mrs. Taylor made that I liked was using the blog to document classroom activity, communicate with parents, provide important information, and place pictures of students engaged in their learning. I think these are excellent suggestions for a Kindergarten blog, especially, placing pictures of students work and students completing work in the classroom.

The following is a link to Sharon Taylor's blog on scholastic.com"

The following two links are excellent Kindergarten blogs I came across:


I found that these two Kindergarten blogs to exemplify what type of blog I would love to create (some day soon) for my Kindergarten classes. They are very well organize, eye catching, and serve different purposes related to their students, parents, other educators, and any person visiting their blogs.

Kindergarten Blogging

2 comments:

  1. These were the absolute cutest blogs. I wonder if the students interact with the blogs with their parents. I think that it is amazing how different educators are using blogs regardless to the age of the students. This post just goes to prove that there are no limitations on what you can do with your class.

    I found this blog called Chalk Talk
    http://larremoreteachertips.blogspot.com/

    I like how they have the pictures celebrating Dr. Seuss's Birthday and other GREAT ideas that you can do with your class. I am really beginning to like the whole idea of blogging with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very impressed that the Kinder-Pond blog blurred out the faces of the children See Here. The parents can still probably figure out whose child is whose, but their general identity is protected from people who don't know them. I did wish that she made more of a link from the "pond" idea to the misspelled "hoppenings." Instead of being a cute frog thing, it just looks misspelled.

    I loved the picture collages on the other blog - I wonder how she made them?

    ReplyDelete